Gardening, with a passion, everyday!

Friday, February 3, 2012

REX BEGONIA

Rex begonias are plants I never knew existed until the day I came across one at the local greenhouse.  It looked beautiful with its burgundy and green leaves swirled in a pattern that was unlike any other plant Id seen.  I grabbed one, not knowing anything about it but willing to see if I could get it to grow for the summer season.  To make a long story short, and with much trial and error, it did thrive!  So what about for winter? Should I throw it in the composter...or I thought maybe try a leaf cutting.

I cut two leaves with about a 3 inch stem, wet them, dipped them in rooting hormone and made a hole to stick it in.  One didn't make it and withered, the other one didn't grow, but didn't die either.  It took about 2 months for it to feel solid in the pot which meant it had finally gotten some roots.  I water it once a week,and keep it out of direct sun.  It has now grown another shoot next to its main leaf and my hopes are high that I will end up with another great Rex begonia for the next growing season.  I sure love planting experiments!


Rex begonia leaf


New sprout





1 comment:

  1. That is a very pretty plant--I think my Mom has always had some of those around. Begonias are annuals, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete